[Fresh] Parents Weekend!

Interview with Tom Mogan, Director of Student Development.

Fresh@News.  Tom, Parents Weekend is just a few days away!  Can you tell us a little about the weekend?

Tom Mogan:   Parents Weekend will take place on September 14th – 16th. Parents Weekend is a time for family and friends to visit the campus and learn about the Villanova Community.  It's also a great time to showcase our students' talents.  From Athletic events, Theatre productions to the Music Activities Showcase, Villanova students have a wealth of talent.

Fresh@News. What events would you recommend to parents of new students?

TM.  The weekend is designed so parents and family members can pick and choose from a variety of receptions, lectures, and events.  Parent University Sessions offer a number of special workshops where parents and family members will meet campus administrators and learn about relevant issues that face Villanova students.  The topics include Catholic Social Teaching and the Environment, Opportunities for Global Citizenship, Counseling Center Information, Financial Planning, and Choosing a Major, just to name a few!  Please check out the Parents’ web site (www.parents@villanova.edu) for more details on these programs.

Fresh@News. I also heard that ONE BOOK VILLANOVA is a part of Parents Weekend this year?

TM. We are very excited about this year’s selection, Left To Tell, by Immaculee Ilibagiza, and are excited to hear what parents and family members have to say about the book. One Book Villanova is designed as a campus-wide program to engage all members of the university community - including parents, students, faculty, staff, and alumni - in reading and discussion of an important contemporary book. We will have two different events over the course of the weekend surrounding the book. The first event, One Book Villanova Dinner: Ideas and Conversation, will take place Friday evening at 5pm in the East Lounge of Dougherty Hall. This is sure to be a unique, intellectual dining experience! The One Book Villanova committee is sponsoring this dinner to kick off our programming for this year's selection. The dinner will feature a keynote speaker on faith and forgiveness and then provide an opportunity for parents to discuss some of the powerful ideas raised in this work. As we will be discussing the ideas found in the book, prior reading is not necessary! Please call (610) 519-4210 to make a reservation or for more information. The other event will take place on Saturday morning at 11:00am at the Holy Grounds in Falvey Memorial Library.  This will be a casual gathering around a cup of coffee and will feature a discussion of Left To Tell with the Parents Book Club.

Fresh@News.  Is Parents Weekend just for the parents?

TM.   Not at all!  We invite all family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents and siblings) to participate in the weekend.

Fresh@News. What types of events are going on that you think other family members would be interested in attending?

TM. On Friday evening we are very excited to offer LateNite at Villanova - Family Style! This will take place in the Connelly Center from 8:00pm- 11:00pm. This will be a chance for family members to experience a typical weekend night at Villanova! The LateNite at Villanova program offers entertainment for students every Friday and Saturday night in the Connelly Center. We've decided to tailor this night's entertainment to the whole family! Featured will be an acoustic guitarist, a movie, and an improv comedy show. Free admission includes entertainment, soft drinks, and desserts!

Fresh@News. That sounds great. And what about for the sports enthusiasts among us?

TM. Well, you can catch the Women’s Volleyball team in action on Friday and Saturday, the Football team will take the field on Saturday, and the Women’s Soccer Team will take on local rivals, Temple, on Sunday. If you plan on going to the Football game on Saturday evening, make sure that you come early to check out the new Nova Nation Pre-Game Tent. This all new tailgate experience will start 2 hours before each home football game. Look for the Nova Nation banner, the big tent, music, great food, cheerleaders, pre-game radio show, and inflatable games. The Nova Nation Pre-Game Tent is the ONLY place to go before the home game. Bring your appetite...food service will be provided by campus favorite Johnnie's Dog House®!

Fresh@News. It sounds like the weekend is full of great events.

TM. And I only mentioned a few, so make sure to check out the full schedule at http://www.villanova.edu/studentlife/specprograms/parents/events/parentsweekend/ to see all of the other things going on throughout the weekend. Some events require registration, so please don’t miss out and register now! If you haven't received the brochure in the mail, you can download it from the Parents’ Website or call our office at 610.519.4210.

Fresh@News: Do you have any recommendations for our parents of first year students who will be experience Parents Weekend for the first time?

TM. My best advice would be to try to experience as much of Villanova as you can, and to let your student show you the things that have become important to him or her while you are here. Also remember to save a little time to just simply be with your student. They are still very much in a time of transition and it will be important for parents to gauge their student’s needs over the course of the weekend. Most importantly, just have fun and enjoy your time together! See you this weekend!