[Fresh] Fresh@News Posting: Parents Weekend 2009!

cid:image001.jpg@01CA3878.043C1D80

Welcome to Fresh@News, Villanova's e-mail newsletter for parents and friends of the Class of 2013. Over the year we will be sending you occasional postings about activities at Villanova University that relate the Freshman Class. Instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe from this service are given at the end of this posting.

Our interview today is with Tom Mogan, Director of Villanova’s Office of Student Development. One of his many responsibilities is the coordination of Parents Weekend.

Fresh@News: Tom, Parents Weekend is just a few days away! Can you tell us a little about the weekend?

Tom Mogan: Parents Weekend will take place on September 25th - 27th. Parents Weekend is a time for family and friends to visit the campus and learn about the Villanova Community.

Fresh@News: For some of our readers, this will be their first Villanova Parents Weekend, and for most it will be the first time they have seen their son or daughter since they said goodbye at New Student Orientation.  Can you tell us a little bit what to expect?

Tom Mogan: The first thing to say is: be ready for anything!  There are as many different experiences as there are students.  Some parents will be amazed by the changes and growth they have seen even in a few weeks.  Many of our resident freshman are already saying “I’m going home now” when they mean that they are returning to their residence hall.  Some already have a dozen new best friends, have joined some activities, are getting on top of their course work, and are enjoying themselves.  At the same time, some of the students are still finding their way, and may be struggling with not having made the kind of social connections they were hoping for, feeling homesick, being overwhelmed by their courses, or not getting along with the roommate.  The only real advice I can give you is to say that it is all pretty normal right now, and expect a lot of changes in the first few weeks (in any direction).

Fresh@News: Is there a lot going on for parents and students to do?

Tom Mogan: I think our visitors will have a great time.  One of the things we do is to showcase our students' talents. From Athletic events to the Ethics Symposium to the Music Activities Showcase, you’ll see that Villanova students have a wealth of talent.

Fresh@News: What events would you recommend to parents of new students?

Tom Mogan:  The weekend is designed so parents and family members can pick and choose from a variety of receptions, lectures, and events. Parent University Sessions (offered on Friday and Saturday) offer a number of workshops where parents and family members can meet campus administrators and faculty members and learn about relevant issues that face Villanova students. Topics include Augustinian Spirituality, Study Abroad, and Choosing a Major, just to name a few! Please check out the Parents' web site (www.parents.villanova.edu) for more details on these programs.

Fresh@News: Is Parents Weekend just for the parents?

Tom Mogan:  Not at all! We invite all family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents and siblings) to participate in the weekend.

Fresh@News: What types of events are going on that you think other family members would be interested in attending?

Tom Mogan: On Friday evening we are very excited to offer “An Evening with Brad Sherwood and Colin Mochrie”. These two comedians from the popular TV show Who’s Line is it Anyway? are sure to have everyone laughing. On Saturday night, we will be hosting LateNite at Villanova - Family Style! This will take place in the Connelly Center from 8:00- 11:00 p.m.  This will be a chance for family members to experience a typical weekend night at Villanova! The LateNite at Villanova program offers entertainment for students every Friday and Saturday night in the Connelly Center. We've decided to tailor this night's entertainment to the whole family! Featured will be musicians, the movie UP! and a silent auction.  Free admission includes entertainment, soft drinks, and desserts.

Fresh@News: That sounds great. And what about for the sports enthusiasts among us?

Tom Mogan:  Well, on Friday, you can catch the Women's Soccer team in action at 4 p.m. (Seton Hall) and the Women’s Volleyball team at 7 p.m. (Cincinnati).   The Football team will take the field on Saturday against Northeastern at 3:30 p.m.

Fresh@News: It sounds like the weekend is full of great events.

Tom Mogan: And I only mentioned a few, so make sure to check out the full schedule at http://www.villanova.edu/studentlife/specprograms/parents/events/parentsweekend/ to see all of the other things going on throughout the weekend. Some events require registration, so please don't miss out and register now! If you haven't received the brochure in the mail, you can download it from the Parents' Website or call our office at 610.519.4210.

Fresh@News:  Do you have any recommendations for our parents of first year students who will be experiencing Parents Weekend for the first time?

Tom Mogan: My best advice would be to try to experience as much of Villanova as you can, and to let your son or daughter show you the things that have become important to him or her while you are here. Also remember to save a little time to just simply be with your son or daughter. They are still very much in a time of transition and it will be important for you to gauge their needs over the course of the weekend. Most importantly, just have fun and enjoy your time together!

This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends of Villanova's class of 2013.  To subscribe to this service, send an e-mail to majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your message should include two words:  “subscribe fresh” .  To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the words: “unsubscribe fresh”.  Old messages are archived on the world wide web at: http://news.villanova.edu/fresh/ .

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the  appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.