[Fresh] Fresh@News Posting: Preparing for Winter Break

 cid:image001.jpg@01CA6C2E.802CDE40

Welcome to Fresh@News, Villanova's e-mail newsletter for parents and friends of the Class of 2013. Over the year we will be sending you occasional postings about activities at Villanova University that relate the Freshman Class. Instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe from this service are given at the end of this posting.

_________________________________________________­­­­­___________________________________________

Even though we just celebrated Thanksgiving, Christmas and Finals are fast approaching! Send your son or daughter some freshly baked cookies to relieve stress and celebrate the upcoming holidays! Visit www.vuband.com/cakes to place your order by Friday December 4th and the Villanova University Band will deliver all orders on Tuesday December 8th to your student’s residence hall room.  Thank you for your support of Villanova University Band!

***************************************************************************************************************************

This first year is a year of profound transitions for your student and even the joy of the holidays can raise some issues that require parents and students to rethink old patterns.  To help us sort things out, Fresh@News interviews Dr. Joan G. Whitney, Ph.D., Director of University Counseling Center, who will talk us through what to expect as your student returns home for winter break.

Fresh@News: When students return home for their first long break since the start of college, what new things might parents expect from their returning college student?

Dr. Whitney: Dr. Whitney: Parents may notice subtle changes in their son or daughter. The first semester of college is often a time of great change and growth, not only in habits and lifestyle, but also in personal development. Students may be talking about different topics, have new interests, or simply seem to have matured in their time away from home. Parents can engage their students in conversations on such topics and interests to help bring together “home” and “college.”  Those students who share openly will probably continue doing so. Those who were more guarded in sharing with parents may continue to be guarded, or may open up more. It’s worthwhile for parents to try to engage their students in conversation about how life is at college.

Fresh@News: What kinds of personal habits may have changed?

Dr. Whitney: In general, parents may notice different sleep patterns. It is not uncommon for college students to be sleep-deprived, especially for the first few days.   Often, they are running on empty by the time they complete all of their papers and final exams, and they may want to “catch up” on their sleep. Students’ sleeping schedules in college are often very different than what parents were used to seeing when their student was in high school, and these new habits will most likely continue once they are home for the holidays.

Fresh@News: Students often spend their time at home with friends from high school. Do you have any advice to parents on what to expect in regards to these reunions?

Dr. Whitney: There are a few different issues that come up with students reuniting with friends from home. It is helpful for parents and the student to discuss expectations about reasonable times to return home and about parents’ expectations about the student “checking in” if they change their plans.  Parents must remember that the students have had a full semester of living on their own with fewer boundaries than they experienced before going to college. They may return home and expect that the rules that once applied to them while in high school are no longer in effect. It is important to recognize the student’s growing maturity by extending appropriate freedom. But, at the same time, parents must also feel comfortable with the situation. The best way to find a balance is to have a conversation about your (and their) expectations for the time they are home.

Fresh@News: Are there any other issues about getting together with old friends from high school?

Dr. Whitney: Although gathering with high school friends can serve as a source of comfort and familiarity, it can also create difficulties of its own. Some students may feel as though they or their friends have changed while away at school. The group dynamics among their old friends may have shifted a bit or could seem noticeably different. These are all normal occurrences, because all of the friends have had such different experiences over the last four months. So the student may feel disappointed by the long- anticipated reunions, and the students may want to talk to their parents about all of that. Conversations with old friends about their individual college experiences may also stir up some anxiety or questioning in your own child, especially if your child had a difficult semester. Among peers, students often only recount the good stories and accounts from their first semester. It may appear that everyone has made the successful transition into college life and loves their respective schools. This may be the case with some students, but certainly not with every student. Parents can remind their own children that they do not always hear the entire story from all of their friends and if they delve deeper, they may see that they are not alone in their struggles.

Fresh@News: How about the parents? Are there any issues that come up for the parents?

Dr. Whitney: Many of our students tell us how much they miss their families, and how much they want to be home.  At the same time, students may spend a surprising amount of time connecting with peers – new Villanova friends, or old high school friends.  As parents, we sometimes look forward so much to having them back with us that we can be almost jealous that we aren’t getting much time with them. My advice is just to be patient. Usually after the initial flurry of catching up, there is plenty of time for the family as well.

Fresh@News: What are some of the other feelings a freshman might be experiencing during their time at home?

Dr. Whitney: As you have mentioned in some of your earlier interviews, most of our students have a pretty good experience at Villanova, but it doesn’t always happen all at once. So if a student has had a harder time with the transition, the semester break can be a difficult time, and some students will start to reflect on their experience and worry that they made a mistake in choosing Villanova. These feelings are normal and common. Often, students have not yet made connections to friends at Villanova or developed new college relationships as deep as the ones they had in high school. This may cause them to worry that such relationships will never occur at Villanova and leave them discouraged. If a student is having these feelings, it is important that parents and family give the student the opportunity to talk about them. The best thing to do is to be supportive and understanding. While it is useful to offer encouragement, it is not helpful to minimize their distress. So it’s best to accept their feelings, while providing encouragement that things probably will improve (because they will!). Assure them that such feelings are completely normal. In speaking with upperclassmen, I have found that making solid connections with both friends and members of the community here takes time. Each student finds his or her own niche, but it often takes some work and experimentation. On the other hand, your student may have had such a positive experience during the first semester that he or she seems to be ready to pack the bags and head back to campus before New Years!

Fresh@News: What should parents do if they become concerned about the student's adjustment, or about depression, anxiety, or other concerning issues?

Dr. Whitney: Parents may call the University Counseling Center to consult with a psychologist.  We ask the parent to describe the nature of their concerns. We then give the parent a sense of: 1) Does the student sound worrisome to us, 2) How might parents address their concerns, 3) Does it makes sense to consult a medical professional while the student is home for the Christmas break. Of course, we cannot share confidential information about the student, unless the student signs a specific release permitting us to share. That can be confusing, because most students sign the "general release" permitting the University to share information with parents. There is a specific, separate release required to share information about contact with a psychologist. Since parents know the students best, we appreciate the opportunity to help parents think through their concerns about the student.  In many cases, we have not yet met with the student, but we can still be helpful.

Fresh@News: What other advice to you have for parents as they prepare for the arrival of their son or daughter?

Dr. Whitney: My best advice is to be patient and supportive. Freshman are constantly in a state of transition and they are still learning and adjusting to life at Villanova. They may struggle in the process to find their place here and at home during this period. It is normal to feel as though your child has changed in their time away. As long as such changes are not drastic, there is no need to be alarmed. At times, you may need to be the voice of reassurance, comfort, and reality. You may also need to engage your student in conversations that will help put your mind at ease about their overall well-being and happiness. Open communication with your student will be helpful in learning more about their college experience and their general outlook.  And, of course, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact the University Counseling Center at (610) 519-4050 or visit us at www.villanova.edu/studentlife/counselingcenter/

This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends of Villanova's class of 2013.  To subscribe to this service, send an e-mail to majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your message should include two words:  “subscribe fresh”.  To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the words: “unsubscribe fresh”.  Old messages are archived on the world wide web at: http://news.villanova.edu/fresh/ .

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the  appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.