[Fresh] Fresh@News: Housing Information

 Fresh@newsheader.jpg

Fresh@News has spoken with Marie Schauder from Residence Life to learn more about the upcoming Housing Lottery and Selection Process for rising sophomores.   This can sometimes be a stressful experience for freshmen and their families, but we hope being an informed participant can help minimize some of the misconceptions about the process.

Fresh@News: In a few weeks, the Class of 2014 will begin selecting their rooms and roommates for next year. We've heard more than a few conversations about this topic already; can you tell us what the experience is like for the members of the Class of 2014?

Ms. Schauder: This process has been on the minds of the freshmen class for months. Who to live with is a big decision for a college student, and this topic will pick up more steam for the next few weeks.

Fresh@News: So how does the process work?

Ms. Schauder: Prior to the start of the Rising Sophomore Housing Lottery and Selection Process, one of the first steps is for students to find a roommate for next year.   Sometimes they choose to stay with their current roommate or they choose to find someone else with whom they feel they may be more compatible with them.

Fresh@News: What kind of issues come up at this stage of the game?

Ms. Schauder: Mostly it works out, but there are some painful moments too. Sometimes one half of a roommate team wants to stay together, and the other wants to live with someone else.  The other issue that frequently comes up regards triples.  We only have a handful of triple rooms available in Sheehan, St. Mary’s and Alumni Halls.  Roommates who lived in a triple their freshmen year and want to stay together for their sophomore year presents a problem.  One of the three needs to find another roommate or go into the assignment process as a random.  There can be hurt feelings and awkwardness.

Fresh@News: Any thoughts or suggestions to pass along as far as finding a roommate?

Ms. Schauder: Students should seek someone with a similar life-style (e.g., study habits, sleeping habits).  Usually the students start by looking at the students who live on their hall. This is a good strategy, but often it makes just as much sense to look for connections in their classes.  Looking for someone who approaches academic work in a similar fashion is often a good place to start.

Fresh@News: Suppose the student just can't find a roommate?

Ms. Schauder:   This happens more often than students think and for a variety of reasons.  Usually about 25% of the class does not pick a roommate and will choose a single room assignment or desires to be assigned a random roommate.  Students just go into the process by themselves and choose their desired room and hall assignment based on what is available at their selection times.  Their roommate will be determined by who selects the second space in the room through the selection process.  Often enough the pairs who end up together work out well and stay together in the future.

Fresh@News: What if a student desires to live in a single room?

Ms. Schauder: We are finding that each year there are more students who desire single rooms. We have singles available for sophomores in Austin, Corr, St. Mary’s and St. Rita’s. The rooms vary in size. I recommend that students interested in single rooms, go to these halls to take a look at the various options available before selecting a hall and room during their selection time.

Fresh@News: What happens next?

Ms. Schauder: The next step is that the students will be provided information via email regarding the Rising Sophomore Housing Lottery and Selection Process.  This information will also be posted on the Residence Life website for parents to review (www.reslife.villanova.edu).  Briefly, the first step will be for students to complete and submit a Housing Contract.  The Housing Contract will be available via NOVASIS to students beginning Monday, March 14th through Wednesday, March 23rd.   Students who submit a Housing Contract will receive a lottery number and housing selection date and time.  On Thursday, March 31st, students will be able to access their housing lottery number and housing selection date and time via NOVASIS.  At their designated time, students will select a hall and room assignment.  If they have a preferred roommate, they will need to have their roommate’s VU ID number to include on the selection form.  Detailed information regarding the Rising Sophomore Lottery and Housing Selection Process will be available the week of March 7h via email and the Residence Life website.

Fresh@News: So what are the most popular residence halls for the class of 2014?

Ms. Schauder: As in any real-estate operation, the three most important factors are, "Location, location, and location." A lot of first year students want to live next year in the "Quad." These two buildings, Sullivan and Sheehan, are on our main campus and house approximately 800 sophomore students (about half of the class). We anticipate these spaces becoming more popular due to the renovations that were made last summer and the addition of air conditioning to both halls this summer.   Another popular hall is Fedigan, which was renovated three years ago and it also has air conditioning.  Along with these main campus halls are Corr, Austin and St. Rita’s.  These halls are popular for their single rooms.  Students looking for a single room option with air conditioning will want to select a space in St. Mary’s Hall.  St. Mary’s is located on the west campus and each room has its own sink.  St. Mary’s will house predominantly sophomores, with a few juniors and seniors.  Another popular building is Good Counsel, which is on South Campus where students enjoy the air conditioning and spacious double rooms with sinks.

Fresh@News: What is the most frequent question you receive about the housing lottery and assignment process?

Ms. Schauder: The most frequent question I receive is because I was assigned to a tripled-double room or a building on main campus (e.g., Simpson, O’Dwyer, Moriarty or Delurey) or with a challenging roommate can I receive special consideration for housing for my sophomore year.  The answer is no.  The reason is the percentage of freshmen who fall under one of these three scenarios equals over 50% of the current class.  We feel strongly that if we were to give one student experiencing these housing concerns special consideration, we would need to apply this to all.  Given the number of students impacted, doing so would remove the “special consideration” factor.

Fresh@News: What advice do you have for parents?

Ms. Schauder: Housing is an issue that has a big emotional charge for students, and a wide range of feelings can be evoked.  Students sometimes need to be encouraged to get accurate information from Residence Life before they make assumptions based on what they have heard from friends. Sometimes the things they are frustrated about can be fixed, so they need to be encouraged to talk to someone before they get too upset. Often students will talk to their parents before they have really found out exactly what is going on, and then the parents pick up the concern of the students. The first path to take is to have the student try to sort out the problem with someone on campus. If that doesn't seem to be working, we also encourage parents to call us at any time and we will do our best to assist you.  Please be patient, usually it all gets sorted out through a discussion with the student. Parents can also look at our website at www.reslife.villanova.edu, which has a lot of information about the halls and housing at Villanova, and more specific information regarding the Rising Sophomore Housing Lottery and Selection Process will be posted on the website by the week of March 7th.

This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends of Villanova's class of 2014.  To subscribe to this service, send an e-mail to majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your message should include two words:  “subscribe fresh” .  To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the words: “unsubscribe fresh”.  Old messages are archived on the world wide web at: http://news.villanova.edu/fresh/ .

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the  appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.