[Fresh] FRESH@NEWS: Spring Course Registration

Fresh@newsheader.jpg

We just started feeling Fall temperatures, but here at Villanova, we are already thinking about Spring! Today FRESH@NEWS is interviewing Ms. Catherine Connor, Associate Dean of Enrollment Management, who will share some tips on course selection for spring semester.

Fresh@News: In a few weeks, the Class of 2015 will be registering for classes for the spring semester. How does registration work and what are some of the issues that come up?

Ms. Connor: Since our first year students have their fall schedules created by the Registrar’s Office, this November will be the first time they will have the opportunity to register themselves as they prepare for the spring 2012 semester.  The students will be making up their own schedule for the first time. Obviously the choice of what courses they will take, with which teachers and at what times, is very important to them. Detailed registration information is emailed to our new students after fall break explaining the registration process, including instructions about viewing their registration appointment, advisor and advisement information and checking their account for hold information that may affect the ability to register. Registration takes place through myNOVA, which is Villanova’s web based portal.

Fresh@News: How do students find out what courses they need to take?

Ms. Connor: At Villanova we take very seriously the role of the academic advisor. Each College at Villanova has its’ own system of advisement, but all of our first year students start the process by meeting with an assigned advisor.  Students should contact their advisor early; the advisor and the student determine what courses the student should take, and a registration PIN is issued by the advisor. This PIN will allow the student access to the registration form in their myNOVA account at or after the students assigned registration time.  Registration cannot take place without this PIN, which ensures that the student has been advised.

Fresh@News: Once they have the registration PIN number, how do they make up their schedule?

Ms. Connor: First year students are assigned a registration appointment by a random lottery; they may enter the registration form in their myNOVA account at or after their appointment time begins, by entering the registration PIN assigned by their academic advisor, and begin registering. Students can register for courses approved by their advisor for which they meet the course restrictions. Also, each class has a maximum enrollment, so if that maximum is reached the class then becomes closed and students must select another section of that class, or another approved class that is still open. Although students cannot enter the registration form before their assigned time, they may view the master schedule of courses at any time by going to the Search for Classes link found under the Student tab in their account.  Course availability, restrictions, faculty, pre-and co-requisites can all be viewed here, and this information is helpful in the planning stages of registration.

Fresh@News: What are some of the concerns that come up?

Ms. Connor: Most of the classes we offer at Villanova are small in size although we do offer a few large lecture classes. While we pride ourselves on our small classes, it also means that classes can close out quickly. As a result, students may find that they can't enroll for the course or the teacher that they want, at the time that they want.

Fresh@News: What can they do if the classes they want are closed?

Ms. Connor: Students sometimes start with a dream schedule and then find that it just won't work out. They should be prepared to be flexible, especially about the times that they take courses. They may have to take some classes at 8:30 AM or at 3:30 PM. If the students are having scheduling problems, the advisor may be able to recommend a different course that is part of their curriculum that they are eligible to take.

Fresh@News: Can students change their schedule after registration is over?

Ms. Connor: One of the best things about web-based registration is that students can go into the system anytime after their assigned registration time to adjust their schedule if necessary. If a student really wants a particular course, he or she should check myNOVA   to check that course periodically to see if a seat opens up. Some of the classes that are closed in November will have empty seats by the time the semester actually starts.

Fresh@News: What advice do you have for parents?

Ms. Connor: It is probably a good idea for parents to have a general familiarity with the various interactions students have with our office, such as registration, receiving grades (which are also on myNOVA), and eventually preparing for graduation. Parents can check our home page at http://www.villanova.edu/enroll/registrar/ where they will find the academic calendar and other interesting information. Parents should also be aware of the federal regulations that govern what kind of information institutions can and cannot divulge. Generally speaking, our office is not permitted to give out any information about individual student grades or progress.  The University developed a “parent” view of student information through a web based system called NOVASIS that can allow parents to see their child’s academic/administrative information with the student’s consent. This information is identical to what the student sees in myNOVA. New students were asked to inform us of parent information this summer, and since that time, e-mails have been sent to parents of students who have agreed to allow their parents to access their information. If a parent does not have a NOVASIS parent account the parent can contact the Dean of the student's college to discuss any academic concerns. If the student electronically signed the FERPA release form (which was included in the on-line booklet the students completed during the summer) then the dean may be able to discuss with you how your student is doing. While the Registrar’s Office cannot discuss academic details of student records with parents, parents can always call us for advice on our policies and procedures.

A Reminder from the Office of Health Promotion:

Don’t forget to register for the upcoming Health Promotion Influencer Series parent webinar held on Thursday, November 10 at 7:00pm.  Our discussion will address student diet, with a special focus on vegan and vegetarianism, the pros and cons of the diets, and warning signs of disordered eating associated with major food choice changes.    Join Health Promotion's Coordinator of Nutrition and Fitness Programs Kristen Hamilton, MS.Ed, RD, CSSD, LD, to learn about campus resources and what you can do to encourage your student to stay healthy at college.  Register now at  www.villanova.edu/healthpromotion and click on “Influencer Series”.

This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends of Villanova's class of 2015.  To subscribe to this service, send an e-mail to majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your message should include two words:  “subscribe fresh” .  To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the words: “unsubscribe fresh”.  Old messages are archived on the world wide web at: http://news.villanova.edu/fresh/ .

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the  appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.