[Fresh] Fresh@News: Parents Weekend 2012

Fresh@newsheader.jpg

Welcome to Fresh@News, Villanova's e-mail newsletter for parents and friends of the Class of 2016!

Over the year we will be sending you occasional postings about activities at Villanova University that relate the class community. Instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe from this service are given at the end of this posting.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Our interview today is with Mr. Thomas Mogan, Director of Villanova’s Office of Student Development. One of his many responsibilities is supervising Parents Weekend.

Fresh@News: Tom, Parents Weekend is just a few days away! Can you tell us a little about the weekend?

Tom Mogan: Parents Weekend will take place on September 14th - 16th. Parents Weekend is a time for family and friends to visit the campus and to learn about the Villanova Community.

Fresh@News: For some of our readers, this will be their first Villanova Parents Weekend, and for most it will be the first time they have seen their son or daughter since they said goodbye at New Student Orientation.  Can you tell us a little bit what to expect?

Tom Mogan: The first thing to say is: be ready for anything!  There are as many different experiences as there are students.  Some parents will be amazed by the changes and growth they have seen even in a few weeks.  Many of our resident freshman are already saying “I’m going home now” when they mean that they are returning to their residence hall.  Some already have a dozen new best friends, have joined some activities, are getting on top of their course work, and are enjoying themselves.  At the same time, some of the students are still finding their way, and may be struggling with not having made the kind of social connections they were hoping for, feeling homesick, being overwhelmed by their courses, or not getting along with the roommate.  The only real advice I can give you is to say that it is all pretty normal right now, and expect a lot of changes in the first few weeks (in any direction).

Fresh@News: Is there a lot going on for parents and students to do?

Tom Mogan: I think our visitors will have a great time.  One of the things we try to do on this weekend is to showcase our students' talents. From Athletic events to the Ethics Symposium to the Music Activities Showcase, you’ll see that Villanova students have a wealth of talent.

Fresh@News: What events would you recommend to parents of new students?

Tom Mogan: The weekend is designed so parents and family members can pick and choose from a variety of receptions, lectures, and events. Parent University Sessions offer a number of workshops where parents and family members can meet campus administrators and faculty members and learn about relevant issues that face Villanova students. Topics include Making Healthy Choices, Choosing a Major and A Day in the Life of an ACS Student just to name a few!  Also available are sessions held by the academic colleges, including a breakfast held by the Office for Undergraduate Studies in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in SAC 107.  Sessions like this one welcome parents and students to chat about advising, internships, professional development, and academic concerns. Please check out the Parents' web site (www.parents.villanova.edu) for more details on these programs.

Fresh@News: Is Parents Weekend just for the parents?

Tom Mogan: Not at all! We invite all family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents and siblings) to participate in the weekend.

Fresh@News: What types of events are going on that you think other family members would be interested in attending?

Tom Mogan: On Friday night, we will be hosting LateNite at Villanova - Family Style! This will take place in the Connelly Center from 7:00p.m. - 10:00 p.m.. This will be a chance for family members to experience a typical weekend night at Villanova! The LateNite at Villanova program offers entertainment for students every Friday and Saturday night in the Connelly Center. We've decided to tailor this night's entertainment to the whole family! Featured will be the a capella groups from Music Activities, a dueling piano show and the movie The Avengers.  Free admission includes entertainment, soft drinks, and desserts.

On Saturday evening the Campus Activities Team is pleased to present “An Evening with Jay Leno”.  Tickets are on sale now at villanovatix.com!

Fresh@News: That sounds great. And what about for the sports enthusiasts among us?

Tom Mogan: Well, you may be able to catch part of the Men’s Tennis Tournament that will be on campus, but many of our fall sports teams are travelling this weekend. On Saturday, the Football team takes the field against University of Rhode Island at 3:30 p.m.  To buy tickets to cheer on the Wildcats, please call the Athletics Ticket Office at 610-519-4100.

Fresh@News: It sounds like the weekend is full of great events.

Tom Mogan: And I only mentioned a few, so make sure to check out the full schedule at www.parents.villanova.edu to see all of the other things going on throughout the weekend. Some events require registration, so please don't miss out and register now! If you haven't received the brochure in the mail, you can access the schedule on the Parents' Website or call our office at 610.519.4210.

Fresh@News: Do you have any recommendations for our parents of first year students who will be experience Parents Weekend for the first time?

Tom Mogan: My best advice would be to try to experience as much of Villanova as you can, and to let your son or daughter show you the things that have become important to him or her while you are here. Also remember to save a little time to just simply be with your son or daughter. They are still very much in a time of transition and it will be important for you to gauge their needs over the course of the weekend. Most importantly, just have fun and enjoy your time together!

Don’t miss out on this year’s Influencer Series of educational webinars brought to you by the Office of Health Promotion. To register for the first webinar presentation of the year on high-risk alcohol use, click here: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/967061094. To read more about the various topics and speakers in the 2012-13 lineup, click here: http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/studentlife/health/promotion/influencer.html.

Don’t take our word for it…listen to what some of our parents said about last year’s series:

“Being able to participate on the Health Promotion Influencer Series has been a great learning experience for me.  As a mother, I am always looking to find information that allows me to relate to and help my children.  Villanova University is providing us with a great resource that has helped me better understand the students’ perspectives and the situations they encounter throughout their college experience. I also learned about the resources and tools the school has to help the students while they are away from home which gives me great peace of mind.”

Villanova Mother, Class 2015