[Fresh] Fresh@News: Parents Weekend!

Welcome to Fresh@News, Villanova's e-mail newsletter for parents and friends of the Class of 2020! Over the year we will send occasional postings about activities at Villanova University that relate the class community. Instructions on how to subscribe or unsubscribe from this service are given at the end of this posting.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Our interview today is with Jeffrey Brown, Director of Villanova’s Office of Student Involvement.  One of his many responsibilities is supervising Parents Weekend.

Fresh@News: We are all excited that Parents Weekend is just a few weeks away! Can you tell us a little about the weekend?

J.J. Brown: Parents Weekend will take place on September 16 – 18. This is a great opportunity for family and friends to visit the campus and to learn about the Villanova Community.

Fresh@News: For most of our readers, this will be their first Villanova Parents Weekend.  And, for many, it will be the first time they have seen their son or daughter since they said goodbye at New Student Orientation.  Can you tell us a little bit of what to expect?

J.J. Brown: The first thing to say is: be ready for anything!  There are as many different experiences as there are students.  Some parents will be amazed by the changes and growth they have seen even in a few weeks.  Many of our resident freshman are already saying “I’m going home now” when they mean that they are returning to their residence hall.  Some already have a dozen new best friends, have joined some activities, have successfully navigated the first few weeks of classes, and are slowing discovering more about themselves.  At the same time, some of the students are still finding their way, and may be struggling with not having made the kind of social connections they were hoping for in the first few weeks.  Your son or daughter may be feeling homesick, overwhelmed by their courses, or still trying to figure out their relationship with their roommate.  The only real advice I can give you is that it is all fairly normal right now.  So be prepared to expect a lot of changes in any direction over the next few weeks!

Fresh@News: Is there a lot happening on campus for parents and students throughout Parents Weekend?

J.J. Brown: I think our visitors will have a great time.  One of the things we try to do on this weekend is to showcase our students' talents.  From athletic events to the Parents Weekend sessions to the Music Activities Showcase, you will see that the Villanova community has a wealth of talent among its faculty, staff and most importantly, its students.

Fresh@News: What events would you recommend to parents of new students?

J.J. Brown: The weekend is designed so parents and family members can pick and choose from a variety of receptions, lectures, and events. Parent University Sessions offer a number of workshops where parents and family members can meet campus administrators and faculty members and learn about relevant issues that face Villanova students. Topics include: options to study abroad, connecting with the Career Center, and safety on campus just to name a few! Please check out the website for more details on these programs.

Fresh@News: Is Parents Weekend just for the parents?

J.J. Brown: Not at all! We invite all family members (aunts, uncles, grandparents and siblings) to participate in the weekend.

Fresh@News: What types of events are going on that you think other family members would be interested in attending?

J.J. Brown: On Friday night, we will be hosting Nova Nights at Villanova - Family Style!  We’ve decided to tailor this night’s entertainment to the whole family with free admission!  We will show the movie Finding Dory, and invite you to attend a dessert reception in the Connelly Center.

On Saturday evening, the day will wrap up at the Ellipse with our Family Fest, celebrating Villanova’s 175-year history!  This event will feature our student a cappella groups, as well as other entertainment and refreshments! Registering for the event will give families the opportunity to taste a variety of food options during the evening.   The first 175 families that register will receive a 175 Anniversary t-shirt!

Registration is $10 per person and the event will take place at the Ellipse (or at the Pavilion if inclement weather).   Register for the Family Festival by visiting villanovatix.com.

Fresh@News: That sounds great. And what about for the sports enthusiasts among us?

J.J. Brown: There are a few athletics events to choose from on this weekend.  On Saturday, the Men’s Soccer game against Butler will be at 1pm at the Higgins Soccer Complex on West Campus. At 3:30 p.m., the Wildcats Football team will tackle Towson in the Villanova Stadium.  Football Tickets are available for purchase by visiting Villanova.com and clicking on the “Buy Tickets” link. As a reminder, student tickets are free with their wildcard.

Fresh@News: It sounds like the weekend is full of great events.

J.J. Brown: And I only mentioned a few, so make sure to check out the full schedule and click on each day to see all of the other things going on throughout the weekend. Some events require registration, so please don't miss out and register now! If you haven't received the brochure in the mail, you can access the schedule on the Parents' Website or call our office at 610.519.4213.

Fresh@News: Do you have any words of wisdom for our parents of first year students who will be experiencing Parents Weekend for the first time?

J.J. Brown: My best advice would be to try to experience as much of Villanova as you can, and to let your son or daughter show you the things that have become important to him or her. Also, remember to save a little time to just simply be with your son or daughter. They are still very much in a time of transition and it will be important for you to gauge their needs over the course of the weekend. Most importantly, just have fun and enjoy your time together!