[Soph] Soph@News: Spring Course Registration

 Soph header.jpg

Welcome to Soph@News, Villanova's new e-mail newsletter for parents and friends of the Class of 2013. Throughout the year we will be sending you occasional postings about activities at Villanova University that relate to the second year experience, so you can stay connected and informed about your student’s sophomore year.

WHAT’S HAPPENING…

National Campus Safety Awareness Day – Thursday, October 7 will mark the Department of Public Safety’s National Campus Safety Awareness Day. Various information tables will be at the Oreo all day to promote safety on campus with participants including the University Counseling Center, Radnor Police, Septa, Amtrak, and the Environmental Health & Safety Office. Along with multiple prizes and giveaways, Public Safety will also host the Lost and Found Auction, where unclaimed lost iPods, cameras, jewelry, clothing, and other items will be put up for auction to benefit charity.

Four New Majors Launched – The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences is pleased to now offer four new academic majors to students beginning this semester. The new majors are Arab and Islamic Studies, Cultural Studies, Gender and Women’s Studies and Latin American Studies. A continued interest in international and global studies prompted the creation of these majors which will be available for all students.

Homecoming Weekend – Hundreds of alumni will be returning to campus on October 22-23 as the Villanova community celebrates Homecoming Weekend! Various events including the Homecoming football game against James Madison University on Saturday, October 23 will allow sophomores to network with hundreds of alumni and see that the Villanova experience extends well beyond a student’s four years here.

Hoops Mania – On Friday, October 22 in the Pavilion, the Nova Nation will kick-off its basketball season with one of the most talked about events of the year: Hoops Mania! This exciting pep rally and scrimmage will feature the players, coaches, and surprise celebrity guests as ‘Nova basketball fans show off their school spirit and get pumped up for a great season.

FEATURED: Spring Semester Course Registration…

Now that Fall Break is upon us, so is the time for sophomores to register for their spring classes. Soph@News takes a look at spring course registration and breaks down the process:

·       Academic Advising

o   Advising is the first step in your son or daughter’s course registration process. The academic advising period officially begins on October 22 and continues for a few weeks at which point your student will be required to meet with their assigned academic advisor. Your student’s advisor will discuss their progress in their current classes, advise which classes your student should take next semester to fulfill requirements and stay on track, and answer any other questions or concerns your student may have.

o   Once your student successfully meets with their advisor, they will be issued a “registration PIN,” meaning they have completed advising and will have access to the online class registration system. If your student is unsure who their assigned advisor is, they can find this information on NOVASIS or MyNova.

·       Class Selection

o   Your student can decide which classes and sections they would like to take by searching for classes in The Master Class Schedule, which is found under the “Student” tab in your son or daughter’s MyNova account. They can easily search for classes by department, professor, or even day/time, to find the classes that interest them, fulfill their requirements, and fit into their schedule.

o   Once they find the classes they would like to take, it is important for them to note the “Course Registration Number (CRN),” which is the code they will use to register for that specific course. It is also important for your student to select some back-up classes, in case their first choice is full or closed before they register.

·       Course Registration System

o   Your student will have an assigned date and time when, with the use of their PIN, they will be able to access the Course Registration System. They can find their assigned time by clicking on “Check your registration status” under the student tab in their MyNova account. Here they will also be able to view whether they have any holds which might prevent them from registering. Holds may be placed on your student’s account due to outstanding tuition charges, overdue library books, etc.

o   Once your student has ensured that any holds have been resolved, they must wait until their assigned date and time before they can access the Course Registration System. When it is their assigned time, your student will be able to log into the system via MyNova and enter their course registration numbers (CRNs) to officially register for their classes. Your student will then immediately be able to view all of the classes they were successfully registered for, as well as their weekly class schedule.

o   Please note that your student does not have to register for their classes exactly at their assigned registration time; this is simply the time they must wait until before they can access the system. However, students are urged to register for their classes promptly after their assigned time to ensure the classes they want are available.

·       Drop/Add Period

o   Your student will be able to access the course registration system and adjust their class selections and schedule beginning at their assigned time, and up until the day before spring semester classes begin in January.

o   Once spring semester classes begin on January 10, 2011, your student will have until January 16, 2011 to drop or add any courses without penalty. This way, your student will be able to attend all classes for the first week, and still make changes to their schedule if they feel necessary. During the drop/add period, your student will need to fill out a form and have it signed by their advisor if they wish to drop or add a course without penalty.

SOPHOMORE SAYS…

Soph@News interviewed a few sophomores to see what their thoughts on spring course registration were:

Now that you are a sophomore, how do you view the importance of course registration?

I realize that it is definitely way more important than it was as a freshman, because as a freshman we were given our courses without us selecting them.  Now that we make all the selections, I can look online and compare teachers, find the best time, and start taking some classes that are my choice.  – Kathryn Cassavell, Pennington, NJ, Undeclared Business

Since spring course registration is fast approaching, how are you preparing to register for your classes?

I made it a point to declare my major this semester before spring registration, so I would have time to meet with my new advisor in my major so I can start taking my major-specific classes. – Claire McNally, Chicago, IL, History & Criminal Justice

Since I’m in the business school, I have a meeting with our peer academic counselor to go over all of my options, hear about the different professors, and see what requirements I need to fulfill. – Steve Amrein, Belmont, MA, Undeclared Business

When your assigned registration time hits, what are some highly sought after classes you would like to register for?

Since I’m in Liberal Arts, whichever classes fit the time I want, and also the requirements I need, works for me. Since I’m still undeclared, I still have a lot of requirements, but also a lot of options, so I want to fulfill all of those so then I can eventually devote all of my classes to my major. – Randy Teti, Marple Newtown, PA, Undeclared Arts

There is a financial accounting class that I want to take next semester and I definitely want to get in a section with the best possible professor and the best time. – Kevin Becht, London, England, Undeclared Business

What is your biggest worry or concern regarding course registration?

My biggest worry is that I will have a bad registration time and all the classes at late times will be full so I’ll have to take all early morning classes! – Alyssa Spratte, Chicago, IL, Undeclared Arts

CAN’T MISS OPPORTUNITIES…

Men’s Soccer – On Saturday, October 9th at 7pm the Villanova Men’s Soccer team will take on the USF Bulls at PPL Park, home of the Philadelphia Union professional soccer team. Wildcat fans can come out and watch the team take on the Bulls at this exciting new venue! Visit www.villanova.com for more information.

Fall Break Airport Shuttle – Is your sophomore flying home for fall break? They should take advantage of the airport shuttle provided by the Villanova Student Government Association. The shuttle will take students from campus to the Philadelphia International Airport on Friday, October 8, and from the airport back to campus on Sunday, October 17. A roundtrip ticket costs $20. Your student should visit the Student Development Office in 214 Dougherty Hall for more information and to purchase a ticket.

STAY TUNED…

Are you wondering if your student’s major matches up with a great career path? Worried your student isn’t headed in the right direction towards an internship? Stay tuned for when Soph@News explores the great services and resources that the Villanova Career Center offers to students throughout their college years!

This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends of Villanova's class of 2013.  To subscribe to this service, send an e-mail to majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your message should include two words: “subscribe soph”.  To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the words:“unsubscribe soph”.

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.