[Soph] Soph@News: Fall Break Experiences

 Soph header.jpg

WHAT’S HAPPENING…

Villanova Ranked Among Most Sustainable Universities –The Sierra Club’s “Cool Schools” list announced Villanova as one of the most sustainable schools in the nation after reviewing the University’s practices in energy supply, efficiency, food, academics, purchasing, transportation, waste management, administration, financial investments, and other initiatives. Villanova further advanced its sustainability mission earlier this year with the submission of a formal Climate Action Plan setting forth the year 2050 as the University’s target date for net climate neutrality.

College of Engineering Ranked #9 in the Nation – Villanova University’s College of Engineering has earned the #9 spot in the nation in the “Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs” category among schools whose highest degree is a bachelor's or master's in U.S. News & World Report’s annual “America’s Best Colleges” rankings.

College of Nursing Selected as Center for Excellence – The Villanova University College of Nursing proudly announced its continued designation as a Center of Excellence in Nursing Education by the National League for Nursing (NLN). It received the honor for the third consecutive time at the NLN’s Education Summit 2010 on October 1st.

FEATURED: Sophomore Service Break Experiences…

This past Fall Break over 300 students, including many sophomores, participated in Campus Ministry’s service break programs which provided opportunities for Villanova students to serve the poor, learn about different cultures, and live in solidarity with people throughout the world.

Three different types of trips were offered to students over Fall Break. Habitat for Humanity experiences provided students the opportunity to participate in Habitat projects in areas such as Texas, New Mexico, and Mississippi. Mission experiences sent students to destinations such as El Salvador and Belize where they worked side by side with the community in various social justice projects. The final trip was the Pellegrinaggio Agostiniano (Augustinian Pilgrimage), where a group of students traveled to Italy with Fr. Joe Farrell to walk in the footsteps of St. Augustine, the patron saint of Villanova. The students traveled to Rome, San Gimignano and Milan to witness firsthand the historical and spiritual places that influenced St. Augustine and Villanova’s Catholic Augustinian traditions and values.

The students came back from these wonderful opportunities and spoke of how they felt transformed by their amazing experience, and grateful for the opportunity to learn so much and have a positive impact on the communities they visited.

Service break experiences are offered during the Fall, Winter, and Spring breaks and are extremely popular with space always filling up quickly. The Pellegrinaggio will be offered again next Fall Break. If your sophomore is interested in participating in a Mission or Habitat service experience during Spring Break, the deadline to apply is January 19th, 2011. More information can be found at www.villanova.edu/campusministry.

SOPHOMORE SAYS…

Soph@News interviewed a few sophomores about their own experience on the service break trips:

Why did you choose to participate in a Habitat for Humanity Fall Break Trip, and what was one of the most memorable parts of your experience?

I chose to participate in a Habitat trip because I really wanted to make a difference in someone's life while having a ton of fun over my fall break.  My service break experience to Slidell, Louisiana was awesome because I got to help build a home for a great cause and make a bunch of awesome new friends at the same time.  One of the most memorable parts of my trip was when I got to see how much work my group did on the house after a week of work.  I was shocked to see how much of a difference a group of 15 inexperienced construction workers can really make in only a few days! – Steve Rozman, Harrisburg, PA, Math and Economics Major

What was it like getting to walk in the footsteps of St. Augustine on the Pellegrinaggio?

As a student at an Augustinian university, you are always immersed in the teachings and values of St. Augustine, so it was a really cool experience to walk in the same churches, cities, and streets that Augustine himself walked in, and to see where he was transformed into the man that would one day completely define what Villanova is all about. We were lucky enough to see and learn so much, and I definitely have a new appreciation and understanding for St. Augustine and Villanova’s Catholic Augustinian identity.  – Nick Tumolo, Chadds Ford, PA, Civil & Environmental Engineering Major

CAN’T MISS OPPORTUNITIES…

At The Half – At The Half is a 3-day, 2-night FREE leadership and team building experience for SOPHOMORES ONLY that will focus on developing leadership skills, building community, and growing personally and professionally. At The Half is also a chance to have fun and connect with fellow sophomores and Villanova faculty and staff member. The upcoming event will be held from Friday, November 12 to Sunday, November 14. Transportation is provided. Encourage your sophomore to sign-up at www.villanova.edu/villanova/studentlife/lifeatvu/half.html.

Anything Goes – Sophomores can enjoy the Villanova Student Musical Theatre’s production of this classic Cole Porter musical comedy. Shows are 10/26-10/29 at 8 p.m. and 10/30-10/31 at 2 p.m. in the St. Mary’s Auditorium. Tickets may be purchased in the Connelly Center or at the door.

Special Olympics –  The Special Olympics Pennsylvania Fall Festival is hosted and organized by Villanova University students and is the largest annual student-run Special Olympics event in the world. This year's Festival will be held from November 5th to November 7th and hundreds of volunteers are needed to make the event a success. Sophomores can take advantage of this fantastic opportunity and sign-up to volunteer by visiting  www.villanova.edu/studentlife/specialolympics.

STAY TUNED…

The Villanova Career Center is a fantastic resource for sophomores to polish up their resume, work on their interviewing skills, and get help with their job and internship search, as well as many other great services. Stay tuned for when Soph@News explores the Villanova Career Center and everything they have to offer the Class of 2013!

This posting is part of an e-mail news service for parents and friends of Villanova's class of 2013.  To subscribe to this service, send an e-mail to majordomo@news.villanova.edu.  The text of your message should include two words: “subscribe soph”.  To stop receiving messages, send an e-mail to the same address with the words:“unsubscribe soph”.

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.