[Soph] Soph@news: Course Registration

Soph header.jpg

Those affected by the recent hurricane continue to be in our thoughts as they begin to deal with aftermath of the storm. We hope all your families are safe and we will continue to pray for those communities who lost so much.  If your son or daughter needs any special consideration due to being unable to return to campus this week, please contact the office of his/her academic dean.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Welcome to Soph@News!

WHAT’S HAPPENING…

Villanova to Host Special Olympics Pennsylvania’s 2012 Fall Festival - Thousands of Special Olympics athletes, coaches, volunteers, and supporters from across the state will once again descend upon Villanova University for Special Olympics Pennsylvania’s Annual Fall Festival, November 2-4, 2012. Returning to Villanova for the 24th consecutive year, the event is the largest student-run Special Olympics competition in the world. For more information, check out http://www1.villanova.edu/villanova/studentlife/lifeatvu/specialolympics.html

Villanovans Spend Fall Break Serving Communities Domestically and Globally - Over 350 students spent their fall break serving communities across the country and around the world as part of Villanova’s Service Break Experience Program. Teams of students traveled to thirteen locations domestically, as well as nine sites internationally, working with various organizations such as Habitat for Humanity and Amigos de Jesús. Each year, Villanovans provide more than 220,000 hours of service to communities locally, regionally, and globally.

University Recognized as one of Nation’s “Best Values in Private Colleges” - Villanova University has once again been recognized in the Kiplinger’s Personal Finance ranking of the best values in private colleges and universities. This year’s list includes the top 200 private colleges in the United States that combine outstanding education with economic value. Villanova earned the #35 ranking among private universities. Kiplinger’s 2012–13 “Best Values in Private Colleges” ranking is published online and will also appear in the December issue of Kiplinger’s Personal Finance Magazine, which hits newsstands on November 7.

FEATURED: Spring Semester Course Registration…

Now that Fall temperatures are upon us, so is the time for sophomores to register for their spring classes. Soph@News takes a look at spring course registration and breaks down the process:

·         Academic Advising

o   Advising is the first step in your son or daughter’s course registration process. The academic advising period officially began on October 26 and will continue for a few weeks during which your student will be required to meet with their assigned academic advisor. Your student’s advisor will discuss progress in their current classes, advise which classes your student should take next semester to fulfill requirements, and answer any other questions or concerns your student may have.

o   Once your student meets with their advisor, they will be issued a “registration PIN,” meaning they have completed advising and will have access to the online class registration system. If your student is unsure who their assigned advisor is, they can find this information on their MyNova page.

·         Class Selection

o   Your student can decide which classes and sections they would like to take by searching for classes in The Master Class Schedule, which is found under the “Student” tab in their MyNova account. They can easily search for classes by department, professor, or even day and time to find the classes that interest them, fulfill their requirements, and fit into their schedule.

o   Once they find the classes they would like to take, it is important for them to note the “Course Registration Number (CRN),” which is the code they will use to register for that specific course. It is also important for your student to select some back-up classes, in case their first choice is full or closed before they register.

·         Course Registration System

o   Your student will have an assigned date and time when, with the use of their PIN, they will be able to access the Course Registration System. They can find their assigned time by clicking on “Check your registration status” under the student tab in their MyNova account. Here they will also be able to view whether they have any holds which might prevent them from registering. Holds may be placed on your student’s account due to outstanding tuition charges, overdue library books, etc.

o   Once your student has ensured that any holds have been resolved, they must wait until their assigned date and time before they can access the Course Registration System. When it is their assigned time, your student will be able to log into the system via MyNova and enter their course registration numbers (CRNs) to officially register for their classes. Your student will then immediately be able to view all of the classes they successfully registered for, as well as their weekly class schedule.

o   Your student does not have to register for their classes exactly at their assigned registration time; this is simply the time they must wait until before they can access the system. However, students are urged to register for their classes promptly after their assigned time to ensure the classes they want are available.

·         Drop/Add Period

o   Your student will be able to access the course registration system and adjust their class selections and schedule beginning at their assigned time, and up until the day before spring semester classes begin in January.

o   Once spring semester classes begin on January 14, 2013, your student will have until January 21, 2013 to drop or add any courses without penalty. This way, your student will be able to attend all classes for the first week, and still make changes to their schedule if they feel necessary. During the drop/add period, your student will need to fill out a form and have it signed by their advisor if they wish to drop or add a course without penalty.

If your student has any questions or concerns regarding course registration they can visit their college or academic major departmental office, or contact their advisor for assistance. Parents can visit the registrar’s website at http://www.villanova.edu/enroll/registrar/ where they will find the academic calendar and other relevant information.

SOPHOMORE SAYS…
Villanova sophomores are abuzz with anticipation as course registration approaches…

Now that you are a sophomore, how do you view the importance of course registration?

“I realize that it is definitely way more important than it was when we were freshman, because last year we were given our courses without us selecting them.  Now that we make all the selections, I can look online and compare teachers, find the best time, and start taking some classes that are my choice.”

Since spring course registration is fast approaching, how are you preparing to register for your classes?

“I made it a point to declare my major this semester before spring registration, so I would have time to meet with my new advisor and start taking my major-specific classes.”

“Since I’m in the business school, I have a meeting with my peer academic counselor to go over all of my options, hear about the different professors, and see what requirements I need to fulfill.”

When your assigned registration time hits, what are some highly sought after classes you would like to register for?

“Since I’m in Liberal Arts, whichever classes fit the time I want and the requirements I need works for me. I’m still undeclared so I have a lot of requirements, but also a lot of options. I want to fulfill all of those so then I can eventually devote all of my classes to my major.”

“There are still a good amount of core classes that I need to take next semester so I definitely want to get in a section with the best possible professor and the best time.”

What is your biggest worry or concern regarding course registration?

“My biggest worry is that I will have a late registration time and I’ll have to take all early morning classes!”

CAN’T MISS OPPORTUNITIES…

Health Promotion Parents Webinar Series - Don’t forget to register for the upcoming Health Promotion Influencer Series parent webinar held on Tuesday, November 6 at 7:00pm.  Our discussion will focus on “Money Matters” and explore why many college students report struggling with money management and are becoming more concerned about their financial stability and security.  Financial strain is one of the leading causes of stress and can negatively affect health in several ways. This webinar presentation, presented by Dr. Nancy Heck, Villanova School of Business, will give parents tips and resources they can share with their students to become more informed about financial decisions throughout the college years and into their professional lives. Register now at https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/123727182

At The Half - At The Half is a 3-day, 2-night FREE leadership and team building experience for Sophomores that will focus on developing leadership skills, building community, and growing personally and professionally. The get-away will include energizing activities and workshops to help students reflect on interests, experiences, values, and passions as they relate to college and their future. The At the Half program will be held off-campus from Friday, November 9 to Sunday, November 11, 2012. Transportation and meals are provided. Students can register at the Student Development Office in 214 Dougherty Hall, or online by clicking HERE.