[Soph] SOPH@NEWS: Rising Junior Housing Selection

Soph header.jpg

Happy New Year and Welcome Back to Soph@news!

We’re looking forward to keeping you updated on the

Class of 2015 throughout the spring semester!

WHAT’S HAPPENING…

Villanova Celebrates Legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King ? The University celebrated the legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., with a series of academic programs, a keynote address and service opportunities from January 21-24 that honored the life and work of the iconic civil rights leader. To kick-off the celebration, on Monday, January 21 members of the Villanova community participated in the 2013 MLK Day of Service.  Volunteers served at numerous sites throughout Greater Philadelphia, including Arch Street Methodist Church, Veterans Comfort House and Caring People Alliance. “Our mission is to make certain that each volunteer is educated about the adversity faced by those we serve, along with the truth that together we can create change,” noted the University’s MLK Day of Service Committee.

One Book Villanova ? On January 29th Conor Grennan, the author of Little Princes, will visit Villanova’s campus. This year’s One Book Villanova selection, Little Princes was distributed to all students, faculty, and staff in the fall semester for this annual campus-wide reading program. Book signings will take place throughout the day on January 29th and a special One Book dinner featuring Nepalese cuisine will be held in the dining halls. The program will culminate with a talk by Conor Grennan at 7:00pm in the Connelly Center, complete with Nepalese music, songs and dance. This talk is free and open to the public.

FEATURED: Rising Junior Housing Selection…

The time has come for sophomores to start thinking about their junior year housing. Soph@News is here to explain Rising Junior Housing Selection and the process that sophomores will go through if they wish to reside in on-campus housing for the 2013-2014 academic year. We encourage you to talk with your sophomore about his/her housing options, roommate situations, expectations, and needs for junior year housing.

Who is eligible for the Rising Junior Housing Selection process?

Current sophomores who reside on-campus and who were admitted to the University as first-time residents during the 2011?2012 academic year are eligible.  Students who obtained housing via a wait list (transfers and commuters) are not eligible to participate in this housing selection process.

How does the housing selection process work?

Current sophomore residents received detailed information from Residence Life about their housing options for junior year and instructions about participating in the junior housing selection process. For more information, check-out the attached PDF.

Here are some highlights of the process:

All aspects of the process are completed online at www.housing.villanova.edu

・        Students will confirm their intent to reside on-campus for next year by completing an online housing application.  Students will agree to the terms of the housing contract, enter their preferred roommates, and indicate their study abroad plans when they complete the housing application.

・        Students who complete the housing application, except those studying abroad in the Fall 2013 semester, will be randomly assigned a housing selection time. Student’s selection times will be posted around January 28, 2013.

・        Students will then be able to choose their housing assignment online at their designated selection time beginning around January 30, 2013.

・        Selection times are random and computer-generated. Separate selection times are generated for male and female students. Factors such as previous housing assignment, assignment to a converted triple room, difficulties with roommates, academic standing, participation in special activities, and other factors are not considered when generating selection times.

What are the housing options for junior students?

Junior students typically reside in the West Campus Apartments and St. Mary’s Hall. Students who wish to reside in the West Campus Apartments will be able to choose their type of preferred apartment.

1. West Campus Apartments:

Students may choose specific apartments in Farley, Gallen, Jackson, Klekotka, Moulden, Rudolph, St. Clare and Welsh Halls. All apartment types in these halls are priced the same.

Farley, Gallen, Jackson and St. Clare Halls - There are two apartment types in these halls:

a. Apartments with 4 single bedrooms, 2 baths, and a kitchenette (full refrigerator, microwave, sink and cabinets, but no stove/oven).

b. Apartments with 2 double bedrooms, 2 baths, and full kitchen.

Klekotka, Moulden, Rudolph and Welsh Halls:

All apartments in these halls have 2 double bedrooms, 1.5 baths, and full kitchens.

2. Residence Halls:

Space is reserved in St. Mary’s Hall for students who wish to reside in a traditional residence hall or who are unable to secure an apartment assignment once all have been filled.

How about choosing roommates?

Students can select to live with a group of four (including themselves) preferred roommates in the apartments. Students who select the apartments as individuals or as a group of only two or three will be housed with random roommates. Throughout the selection process, Residence Life will consolidate apartments with less than four residents to accommodate the maximum number of students.  In order to avoid consolidation to a different apartment, you should strongly consider selecting an apartment as a group of four.  Every effort will be made to assign consolidated groups to preferred apartment types or floors, but Residence Life cannot guarantee preferred apartment types or floors after consolidation.

Students may also choose to live in the apartments as a group of five if one of the group members anticipates leaving in the spring semester to study abroad or to participate in an internship program. This option is only available to those students housed in a two?bedroom apartment. Additionally, students may request to add a fifth person to their apartment for the spring semester to accommodate a student returning from a fall semester study abroad or internship program.

Where can I go for more information?

To learn more about the Rising Junior Housing Selection, and for details on specific apartments, residence halls, or other Res Life information, visit the Residence Life website at www.reslife.villanova.edu.

Can’t Miss Opportunities…

RA Applications - Residence Life is currently accepting applications for the 2013-2014 Resident Assistant (RA) staff. Students who are RAs have the opportunity to build leadership skills, create community, and make a difference in the lives of their peers. RAs are housed in both the halls and the West Campus Apartments and receive a waiver of room charges and a meal plan for the academic year. Encourage your student to apply! Applications are available to students on NOVASIS and are due by January 29. More information can be found at www.reslife.villanova.edu

Theology Untapped ? This semester on Thursdays at 9pm, Campus Ministry will be hosting Theology Untapped, a student-friendly spin on the Theology On-Tap series held around the country. Each week will feature a faculty or staff speaker who will focus on various topics including Love & Friendship, Searching for Identity, Finding Spiritual Balance, and God - what is your plan for me? The program will be held on-campus in the new Café Nova where students of all faiths can gather to enjoy some refreshments and casual conversation about theological topics that are relevant to today’s college student.

Spring Career Fairs ? Students can take advantage of the upcoming spring career fairs where they will have the chance to meet with 100+ employers who are looking to fill internships and full time positions. The Arts and Business Fair will take place on Tuesday, February 5 and the Science, Engineering and Technology Fair will take place on Wednesday, February 6. Both Fairs will be held from 2-6pm in the Connelly Center’s Villanova Room. Visit www.careers.villanova.edu  for more info.

Study Abroad Deadline - The deadline to apply for study abroad in the upcoming summer or fall semester is March 1, 2013. All applications and paperwork must be submitted to the Office of International Studies by this deadline to be considered eligible for summer and fall 2013 study abroad. Students can learn more about the application process at http://www.villanova.edu/vpaa/intlstudies/.

Don’t miss out on this spring’s Influencer Series of educational webinars brought to you by the Office of Health Promotion. Click here to read more about the various topics and speakers in the 2012-13 lineup.

Don’t take our word for it…listen to what some of our parents said about last year’s series:   “Being able to participate on the Health Promotion Influencer Series has been a great learning experience for me.  As a mother, I am always looking to find information that allows me to relate to and help my children.  Villanova University is providing us with a great resource that has helped me better understand the students’ perspectives and the situations they encounter throughout their college experience. I also learned about the resources and tools the school has to help the students while they are away from home which gives me great peace of mind.”

Villanova Mother, Class 2015

No official news or policy statements are included in this service.  The postings provide supplemental background information for parents and friends of the class.  While the information is as accurate as possible, all information is subject to change without notice.  Please do not reply to these postings.   If you have specific questions, contact the appropriate office at Villanova University or email the Parents' Website at parents@villanova.edu.  See www.parents.villanova.edu  for phone numbers and further information about Villanova.